Monday, July 13, 2009

The epitome of summer: Chilled Watermelon Mint Soup

This refreshing soup is the epitome of a warm summer day. I first made this dish as part of a multi-course meal paired with champagne and was hooked. This is not an easy dish to make as the watermelon must be pureed and sieved. I recently purchased a power juicer that makes the job much, much easier. If you don't have a juicer, I have made it many times using a sieve, so I invite you to take the time as your guests will love it.

Here's the recipe



Another challenge with this dish is to balance the sweet, salt and chile flavors. I have over spiced, over salted and over sweetened this soup to learn how to dial in the flavors. The best technique is to pour a small amount of the soup into a separate bowl and experiment with the flavors. When you get the small portion to taste perfectly, then scale the measure to the entire pot. I also recommend that you chill the soup overnight to let the flavors blend and mellow the chile a bit.


I also made watermelon sorbet from the other half of the melon since a half a melon easily makes enough soup for eight servings.

Watermelon on Foodista

Serrano Pepper on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious!I was just thinking of hatch chilies when you mentioned that this soup is a blend of sweet, salty and spicy flavors.I'll definitely try it.I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks! - Alisa@Foodista

    ReplyDelete